A little bit about me:
Dr. Doni Wilson, a Bastyr Graduate and a nationally celebrated naturopathic doctor, teaches women, men and children how to make life-changing differences to improve their health using natural approaches.
Suffering from environmental and food allergies herself, Dr. Doni was inspired to create a specialized approach to food sensitivities and “eating for health” – The Hamptons Cleanse – a popular, gluten-free nutritional regimen that reduces inflammation, heals leaky gut (a digestive issue that leads to food sensitivities), supports detoxification and weight loss, and brings the body back to a state of optimal health.
In her book, THE STRESS REMEDY, Dr. Doni discusses how and why we experience stress, its impact on health and wellbeing, and offers expert guidance on how to reduce stress and reclaim optimal health.
As a naturopathic doctor, certified professional midwife, and certified nutrition specialist, Dr. Doni is frequently called upon to discuss her approaches and her research related to stress in the media, as well as at both pubic and professional events.
She was awarded the New York Association of Naturopathic Doctors (NYANP) Naturopathic Doctor of the Year award and is well-respected in her field for serving as the president and executive director of the NYANP for the past ten years. She continues to play an instrumental role, leading the effort to license naturopathic medicine in New York State.
Dr. Doni, who is also a single mom, is no stranger to stress, and attributes her good health to mastering how to support the body, by applying science, with food, exercise, sleep and stress remedies.
5 Reasons to Follow a Paleo/Primal Diet:
1. Even though we are walking around with smartphones and laptop computers, and have electricity and heat (usually), we are actually not that much different, genetically, then our ancestors. And our ancestors did not have the ability to digest gluten and other grains, nor do we.
2. The fastest growing issues in healthcare today are obesity and diabetes, which are completely related to over consumption of carbohydrates and under-consumption of protein and healthy fat. In order to save health care dollars and lives, we need to do a 180 and start emphasizing what most people are avoiding: a healthy amount of protein and fat every 2 to 4 hours throughout the day.
3. The most common symptoms patients report, as found in a research study completed in my office, are fatigue, achey-ness, anxiety and weight gain. While they may seem to be separate causes, when it gets down to it, they are all caused by inflammation, and the most common source of inflammation is food. How can food cause inflammation – you might ask – Food causes inflammation via leaky gut. And a non-paleo diet – filled with gluten, dairy, sugar, and processed ingredients – is known to lead to leaky gut. So what is best solution for feeling tired, achey, anxious and overweight? Eat meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, fruit, and nuts.
4. There are a million diets out there – how could all of them, or even one of them, be “right” for everyone? After over twenty years of analyzing diets as a nutritionist and naturopathic doctor, what I look for is the common denominator, not the hype. A diet that works for all humans is a diet based on our common physiology and biochemistry – it’s what I call “eating to your physiology.” Our bodies simply need to be fed healthy protein, carbs (from veggies, fruits, and nuts), and fats in small amounts throughout the day.
5. If you’ve been trying and struggling to avoid sugar, tempting treats, and foods high in carbs that put you a never-ending blood sugar roller coaster (like cereal, muffins, breads and pastries), then following a primal/paleo diet will help you break the cycle and get on with your life. And it doesn’t have to be difficult – it is easy actually.
Doni Wilson, ND
Telephone: (855) 316-2114
Provence Wellness Center
150 East 55th Street,
(Between Lex and 3rd)
New York, NY 10003