Inflammation is a 4 letter word in Functional Medicine. I find most conditions such as joint pain, IBS, autoimmune disorders, eczema and mood imbalances can all be tied back to inflammation. It must be traced, identified and eliminated in order to truly get to the root of these adverse conditions. Through diet experimentation with The Myers Way Comprehensive Elimination Diet and state of the art lab testing, I am able to locate the source of this inflammation and stop it from cascading into the uncomfortable ways it manifests in the body. As you get to the origin of your inflammation, these foods and supplements can help to cool off the inflammation in your body.
Foods to Reduce Inflammation
1. Turmeric: Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, obstructs the activity of enzymes that trigger inflammation. You can add turmeric to foods such as soups and curries, or take it in the form of a curcumin supplement.
2. Ginger: A relative of turmeric, ginger contains powerful anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols. It is also a potent antioxidant, preventing the oxidation of a damaging free radical called peroxynitrite. Try adding ginger to a stir-fry, or drink ginger tea.
3. Blueberries: Blueberries are packed with phytonutrients that can help to reduce inflammation, pain and even tissue damage from free radicals. Eat fresh, or blend into a smoothie.
4. Avocados: Avocados are an excellent source of monounsaturated oleic fatty acids, phytosterols, and many more anti-inflammatory nutrients. They are particularly effective at lowering inflammation of the joints, by preventing the synthesis of prostaglandin E2 in the connective tissue.
5. Salmon: Salmon and other oily fish are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which inhibit the body’s inflammatory response process. If you do not eat fish or would like an extra boost in your diet, you can purchase Omega-3 supplements.
Check out my Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie with ginger and turmeric!
Supplements to Reduce Inflammation
1. Curcumin: Research has shown the anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin to be as effective as some pharmaceuticals, but without the negative effect of toxicity. This powerful antioxidant also supports joint health and cardiovascular function.
2. Inflammation Support: The compounds and phytonutrients in this supplement help regulate inflammatory response mechanisms in the body and inhibit inflammatory enzymes as well as eliminate free radicals.
3. Omega-3: Omega-3 fatty acids inhibit an enzyme called cyclooxygenase (COX), which triggers inflammation. Our fish oil is designed using emulsification technology that enhances absorption by the body.
4. UltraMend Protein Powder: Ideal for patients with intestinal inflammation, this powder’s blend of nutrients and amino acids helps support a balanced inflammatory response in the body.
5. Evening Primrose: The unrefined evening primrose seed oil supplies a concentrated dose of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an Omega-6 fatty acid that is commonly lacking in the diet. GLA is converted by the body into DGLA, an anti-inflammatory substance.