It makes me crazy when people eat egg white omelets in an effort to be healthy. I urge you to eat whole eggs often and cook them with grass fed butter or coconut oil. Starting your day with whole eggs will help regulate your blood sugar so you likely eat less throughout the day. Eating eggs anytime of day can assist people in losing weight because eggs are an easy way to get satisfying protein and healthy fats into the diet. Always buy the best eggs you can afford preferably from organic, pastured chickens that do not eat soy. For more info on choosing the best eggs click here.
- Egg yolks are a good source of the essential mineral chromium which helps to maintain proper blood sugar levels, lower body weight, increase lean body mass, reduce triglycerides and cholesterol. (Murray,2005). Eating just two 2 eggs yolks provides nearly 400 mcg of chromium which is double the suggested amount needed per day. (Murray,1996)
- Whole eggs are an excellent source of Vitamin K which is vital for strong bones and preventing osteoporosis. (Murray,2005)
- A whole egg only has 65 calories 5.3 grams of fat, only 1.3 grams is saturated. One egg also has 6 grams of protein.(Murray,2005) Saturated fat is good for you but if you think it isn’t maybe this will convince you.
- A study from the Journal of the American Medical Association found that people who eat four whole eggs per week had lower cholesterol than people who ate just one egg per week. (Murray,2005). Our hormones are made from cholesterol and it is a healing substance. Read more about the powerful benefits of cholesterol here.
- Eggs yolks are rich in choline which is vital for healthy brain function. Choline has been shown be to be crucial for helping to prevent depression and Alzheimer’s.(Murray,1996) Whole Eggs are a good source of Vitamin B-12 and Folate which work together to protect the brain from degeneration and produce healthy red blood cells. (Murray,2005)
- People who ate eggs rich in choline have 20% lower levels of inflammation than those who do not get enough choline. (whfoods.com,2010)
- In a study of obese people lasting 8 weeks whole egg eaters lost double the weight of people who ate bagels for breakfast. They also lost 80% more inches and had more reported having more energy. (whfoods.com,2010)
- Eggs rich in choline are important for heart health because choline regulates homocysteine which in excess can damage blood vessels. (whfoods.com,2010)
- In another study children who ate eggs everyday for two months improved their LDL particle size which reduces their risk of heart disease. (whfoods.com,2010)
- Egg yolks are a good source of Vitamin D and selenium both of which can help prevent breast and colon cancer. (Murray,1996)
Murray, Michael, N.D. The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods. New York: Altria Books, 2005.
Murray, Michael, N.D. Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements. Prima Publishing, 1996.