I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus as I had a book to write and another book to edit all in the last three months! I am so grateful for all of your wonderful emails and caring words and kindness and support! But I’m glad to be back in the flow of the podcast.
Recently the NYC Attorney General’s office took some supplement samples off of store shelves, tested them, and found that there was a big difference between their ingredient claims and the actual contents. The next thing we knew, the news was full of stories about supplements being a farce, a waste of money, and even a danger.
This led to a lot of consumers and doctors questioning both the efficacy and safety of supplements. I got dozens of emails about this topic, and I continue to get questions at events and during workshops.
Today I’m talking with my mentor, friend, and wonder woman Dr. Tieraona Low Dog. If there was a natural medicine superhero on this planet, it is this woman. We’ve known each other for 25 years now and have an incredible amount of life in common. This mama really walks the talk, growing her own food, living with animals in the home she built with her husband. Today we’re talking about supplements: whether we need them, the role of supplements in women’s health and health in general, how we can use food as medicine, and when you can actually use supplements.
You can Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or Soundcloud
“Herbs are more complicated than vitamins or minerals.” – Tieraona Low Dog
- The difference between supplements and herbal supplements
- Why DNA testing of supplements isn’t perfect
- Why Americans need to supplement their diet
- The vitamin shortages in the U.S. population
- What approach Dr. Low Dog would take to depression
- How to look at the causes of depression and anxiety
- The importance of going back to the five food groups
- Why we need to think about preventing issues in the next generation
“Let’s think about if we want to pay the farmer now or the pharmacist later.” – Tieraona Low Dog
- How to get more fermented foods in your diet
- What happens when you take antibiotics
- Why you aren’t destined to get your parents’ genes
- What supplements Dr. Low Dog recommends for women
- The issues with non-GMO foods, fortified foods, and more
- Why you need to diversify your diet
- What rules to follow about what you put in your body
- Dr. Low Dog’s advice for making life your best medicine
- Learn more about The Human Microbiome Project
- Read The Missing Microbe by Martin Blaser
- Get your hands on Dr. Low Dog’s books
- Connect with Tieraona:
Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Website
“Nothing in our history, nothing in our biology has prepared us for the last 60 years of food which is highly refined, highly processed, highly convenient, and nutrient depleted.” – Tieraona Low Dog
The post NatMD Radio: Fortify Your Life with Tieraona Low Dog appeared first on Aviva Romm.
Read more here:: http://avivaromm.com/tieraona-low-dog